Archive for KENT SEA FISHING FORUM Shore & Boat fishing reports from Kent and the UK's coastline
 


       KENT SEA FISHING FORUM Forum Index -> Cook Book
MickJ

Skate Wings

Hope some of you knowledgable chappies out there can help me, I have some wings frozen down in the freezer, bought last November, the last 2 times I have had them (last night being one) have left me feeling unwell the previous time on hands and knees crying out for hughie down the porcelain telephone   , I put that down to the batter I had cooked them in, this time we just grilled them, they didn't smell of Ammonia or 'off' in anyway and the wife had the same with no effect, so am I allergic to them (as I am with Scallops) or is there a 'trace' of Ammonia that disagrees with me, should you freeze them or what?

I do remember eating Skate wings at the Eagle Cafe (Ramsgate) when Joe had the place (you may remember him Spratty) and it was his speciality and not having any problems.
bigd

Some people recommend sticking them in the freezer for a day or two before cooking them anyway. I have eaten them the dame day though and they have been fine.

How long was it between catching and freezing. if you left it too long bacteria might have already produced toxins. Allergies don't usually make you naseous. I am allergic to tuna, which sends me into potentially dark anaphylaxis.

It is more likely to be an intolerance or food poisoning. People think it is the bacteria getting onto there body which is doing the damage, but it is the toxins they have produced whilst metabolising the food stuff. Freezing may kill the bacteria buy it won't affect the toxins in already tainted flesh.

Ammonia can make you feel I'll but if you cant taste it it is unlikely you will ingested enough to cause harm
SpratDab

Re: Skate Wings

MickJ wrote:
Hope some of you knowledgable chappies out there can help me, I have some wings frozen down in the freezer, bought last November, the last 2 times I have had them (last night being one) have left me feeling unwell the previous time on hands and knees crying out for hughie down the porcelain telephone   , I put that down to the batter I had cooked them in, this time we just grilled them, they didn't smell of Ammonia or 'off' in anyway and the wife had the same with no effect, so am I allergic to them (as I am with Scallops) or is there a 'trace' of Ammonia that disagrees with me, should you freeze them or what?

I do remember eating Skate wings at the Eagle Cafe (Ramsgate) when Joe had the place (you may remember him Spratty) and it was his speciality and not having any problems.


Apparently its better to freeze Skate wings or leave in the fridge for 24hrs before eating. They also need to be skinned first...Skate excrete through the skin...so any 'nasty stuff' will be in the skin. The trouble with 'buying' Skate wings is that you dont know how long is was before they were skinned...hence freezing to rid the 'fillet' of any 'bugs'.
Dont know the cafe Mick....i dont live in Ramsgate.
MickJ

Possibility Wayne, just how long had the fishmonger had the wings, sorry I thought you would know that Cafe as you fish the Pier.
SpratDab

Just found this snippet as guidance:

Buying: The key to successful skate wing cooking is that the wings are very fresh. Since it's cut from the skate you don't have the usual method to judge freshness, but smell will do. If it smells at all like household ammonia it is not fresh and should be rejected.

Storing: Because freshness is such a big issue, you want to keep skate wings as cold as possible without freezing them and use them as soon as possible - like immediately.

Refresh: Skate wings that smell of ammonia will taste like ammonia. If the smell is strong, toss them out or suffer the consequences - it won't taste good and the dead fish odor may hang around for days. If you've got wings with just a faint ammonia smell you can refresh them. Skin them, bone them and prepare them ready to cook, then soak the pieces in strongly acidulated cold water for half an hour. Preferably acidulate with citric acid (lemon/Lime, 1 Tablespoon to 2 quarts water). Ammonia is alkaline and will be neutralized by the acid. The pieces of skate should now have a light fish smell and be much more edible.
MickJ

Nice one Wayne Ta! giving 2 wings to a mate (maybe soon to be ex-mate or dig out me suit for a funeral) as he has never eaten Skate see if he has same reaction as I have (not told him lol   )
BigBassBoy

Are they the same as ray wings?

Would I have to treat them the same?
MickJ

BigBassBoy wrote:
Are they the same as ray wings?

Would I have to treat them the same?


Yes they are Thornback Rays but tend to get 'generalised' as 'Skate'
BigBassBoy

Hoping to try some 'fresh' ones very soon then  
sawnee

MickJ wrote:
Nice one Wayne Ta! giving 2 wings to a mate (maybe soon to be ex-mate or dig out me suit for a funeral) as he has never eaten Skate see if he has same reaction as I have (not told him lol   )

How did your "mate" get on with the skate?

I hear that you normally loose your voice for a day or so after a stomach pump, is that true?  
MickJ

sawnee wrote:
MickJ wrote:
Nice one Wayne Ta! giving 2 wings to a mate (maybe soon to be ex-mate or dig out me suit for a funeral) as he has never eaten Skate see if he has same reaction as I have (not told him lol   )

How did your "mate" get on with the skate?

I hear that you normally loose your voice for a day or so after a stomach pump, is that true?  


Lol glad you reminded me, have just emailed him to find out - hope I get an answer lol

       KENT SEA FISHING FORUM Forum Index -> Cook Book
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum